The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Demand Planner is accountable for all forecasting activities associated with finished goods products, customers, plants and distribution locations. The Demand Planner creates and maintains forecast models for the product categories they own at a sku level, incorporating business intelligence and forecast information gathered from Sales, Business Development, Finance, and other sources (i.e.: Nielsen or other syndicated consumer data). The Demand Planner leads the monthly consensus meetings with Sales and Business Development and is a key team member in S&OP meetings.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Creates statistical forecasts:
- Gathers, analyzes and validates data
- Executes statistical modeling software
- Reviews resulting statistical forecast model
- Applies error analysis techniques to improve forecasting
Reviews sales plans, business development updates and demand drivers:
- Presents, solicits, and assesses feedback on the various forecasts from sales and business development
- Recommends adjustments for operational forecasts
- Reviews promotional plans with sales
- Identifies and reports on ‘root cause’ for forecast error and below targets. Assists in establishing annual forecast accuracy targets.
- Tracks sales inputs to new and lost business and sales promotions. Aligns the forecast to changing demand by DC.
Achieves consensus for operational demand forecasts by facilitating a collaborative planning process with sales and business development personnel:
- Prepares relevant material to facilitate research and discussion
- Coordinates cross-functional research activities to reconcile significant variances and refines the forecast model to reflect updated sales and business development assumptions.
- Drives SKU Rationalization for sku’s within managed group.
- Responsible for understanding shipment trends and category dynamics to support and endorse total volume forecast.
Provides input to volume planning (Latest Estimates / annual process)
- Facilitates and manages demand planning/sales and business development meetings
- Achieves consensus with the business side and the demand chain
- Leads internal cross functional communication, integrating information into the forecast via the demand consensus and S&OP process
Maintains demand planning system and software
- Attains forecast accuracy targets by sku/by location at a weekly level.
- Monitors trends in forecast errors and takes action to improve
- Identifies relevant market-related data and competitive intelligence
- Utilizes Logility, SAP, BI to ensure exceptional level of data integrity
- Provides timely updates and analysis to Supply Chain partners to identify scenario planning opportunities
- Acts as a lead by training, mentoring and providing guidance to less experienced Demand Planners employees.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Business Administration or related field and 3+ years of experience in forecasting or planning; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of strategic sales analysis and planning.
- Proven analytical ability combined with an attention to detail.
- Knowledge of SAP, a plus.
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong mathematical aptitude, excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, required.
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams in a complex matrix organization to promote productivity and enhance supply chain overall functions.
- Ability to multi-task and plan, prioritize, and set goals.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and excellent customer service skills necessary.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of working independently.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to less tenured employees within Demand Planning.